Pagina's

maandag 24 september 2012

Guerlain Connoisseur of Colognes Massaniello Bogaert - meeting at Douglas The Hague


Douglas The Hague is one of the better perfume stores in the Netherlands. The assortment is slowly growing into more quality (even some Tom Fords & Armani exclusives) and besides,  the Utrecht store is probably getting a Chanel special department. Douglas The Hague has the amazing inside Guerlain exclusive store. And hanging around there I got intrigued by everything that has to do with this amazing perfume House.

Patricia and her colleagues from Douglas The Hague are very kind with samples, which gave me the opportunity to test Guerlain fragrances al year round. It lead to Guerlain fragrances in my collection since I could not resist Habit Rouge that I love to wear on fresh days in between summer and fall when the air is a bit crispy. The scent is at it's best when the French yachting season opens. The other, L'instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme is my favorite fall fragrance for every day.


My favorite Guerlain fall fragrances
For summer I like my Guerlain - Cologne du Parfumeur; see my top 5 summer fragrances review.

So, just back from that beautiful (music, food & fragrances) week in Belgrade I was ready to meet perfume connoisseur Bogaert, who was going to test me in relation to the Guerlain perfumes & to what would fit me best at that moment. Patricia invited me for a tête-à-tête meeting with Guerlain's training manager for Benelux, Masaniello Bogaert. 

Massaniello Bogaert

Connoisseur Bogaert is a real gentleman who is used to advice VIP's personally. He has a lot of patience and knows a lot about perfumes. 

Bogaert started with a test based on my associations with images from all kinds of atmospheres. He asked about my cooking preferences, about ingredients, wines and grapes. He tested me on all kinds of raw, rough and smelling materials such as real white musk and ambergris. All sorts of tests with scents “thatlead him to a clear picture of my preferences”( from which for him of everything became clear). I e.g. don't like musk nor aldahyden, unless it is used in a very refined way.
A complex flavor, but clear. Preference for fresh, clear chypre with occasional need for warmth, but not purely Oriental and not spicy. Yet with elements there. And, in fact, need for a fresh new molecule; available in the near future. Exciting.

My body smell is according to him equal to the smell he shows me (that you see here). And thatt is so true, because I can smell myself. The bergamot and the bitter oranges II
I find delicious. Together with leather smells, and with a very light flowers, pepper and cardamom smell. And also the special pachouli, sandalwood and the always nice bit of  frankincense. Not heavy, as for me it fits.

And if I am in need of some warm feeling, it is a few drops on the wrists of Songe d'un Bois d'Ete that gives a deeper accent for the jasmine, the cedar, the saffron, the old and myrrh.

Yet there are moments as well in which there is room for Encens Mythique D'Orient in which the aldahyden for me works well combined with the neroli, the mosses, the saffron, a beautiful Persian rose, the musk and in this case (Yes Yes) genuine ambergris from (New Zealand) whales (that have matured for more than a year).

Femke, who joined me had a lively conversation with mr. Bogaert too. He was surprised that she could already smell so many different scents (she started with only smelling flowers, but now she know differences between roses, orange blossoms and others scents). That’s already really good, he says. 

Humans are able to distinguish between around 10.000 scents max. Noses are trained to be able to smell more than most people can. When kids start young to develop this art, they will become better and better at it. Continue with that Femke, he says. We need that kind of people. 
The last Guerlain went into banking. But the youngest generation is enthusiastic about perfumes. Femke gets a little shy when Bogaert presents her with some sweets with special scents. We continue taking about perfumes, pure soaps and opera since his family name is related to opera. (and I just came back from a performance by my soprano love in Belgrade Serbia).

It was nice and inspirational to meet with Massaniello Bogaert. Out of this meeting I decided to purchase 3 fragrances. I started with Arsene - Lupin Dandy which fit very well to my body chemistry. With a personal engraving we ended this beautiful day at Guerlain. 

Arsene - Lupin with Geurenland engraving
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One week after the meeting

That week I kept my twoo Guerlain hand fans in the garderobe.
One for Encens Mythique D'Orient and one (with) for Songe d'un Bois d'Ete. Both from the Orient line.
I happily bought Songe d'un Bois d'Été one week later again, which fits so well for the coming winter. And I need that warm drop sometimes. Encens Mythique D'Orient will follow later, very feminine, but as soon as the fan fragrance starts to go away I want to smell this ambergris depth again, someday..


Songe d'un Bois d'Ete 


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten